LETTER TO EDITOR
|Year : 2008 | Volume
| Issue : 2 | Page : 101
Rapid assessment of HIV/AIDS awareness amongst mothers residing in slums of a randomly selected municipal zone in Delhi, India
Sandeep Sachdeva, Utsuk Datta
Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Nirman Bhawan,New Delhi - 110 108; Department of Education and Training, National Institute of Health and Family Welfare, Munirka, New Delhi - 110 067, India
Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Nirman Bhawan, New Delhi - 110 108
Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None
|How to cite this article:|
Sachdeva S, Datta U. Rapid assessment of HIV/AIDS awareness amongst mothers residing in slums of a randomly selected municipal zone in Delhi, India. Indian J Sex Transm Dis 2008;29:101
|How to cite this URL:|
Sachdeva S, Datta U. Rapid assessment of HIV/AIDS awareness amongst mothers residing in slums of a randomly selected municipal zone in Delhi, India. Indian J Sex Transm Dis [serial online] 2008 [cited 2021 Oct 21];29:101. Available from: https://www.ijstd.org/text.asp?2008/29/2/101/48736
Primary data was collected to determine immunization coverage amongst children aged 12-23 months residing in the slums of a randomly selected municipal zone of Delhi, i.e., the South municipal zone, using the World Health Organization (WHO)-advocated, 30-cluster, probability proportional to size (PPS) technique.  In addition, the mothers of these children were interviewed to assess their level of knowledge with regard to HIV/AIDS, after obtaining selected sociodemographic information. A single investigator collected data from 210 mothers during the period from October to November 2005. The data was then analyzed by calculating percentages and chi-square test using a statistical software package.
Out of 210, there were 23 [10.95%], 164 [78.0%], and 23 [10.95%] mothers in the age group of less than 20 years, 21-30 years, and 31-40 years, respectively. With regard to the level of schooling, 136 [64.76%] had never been to school, 34 [16.19%] had studied up to middle school, 40 [19.04%] up to secondary/above. There were 175 [83.33%] Hindus and 35 [16.66%] Muslims, respectively. There were 64 [30.5%], 63 [30.0%], and 83 [39.5%] mothers who had one, two, and three/more living children, respectively. There were 104 [49.52%] eligible children (12-23 months) who were completely immunized up to age one and the remaining 106 [50.47%] were either partially immunized or nonimmunized.
The study findings revealed that only 128 [61.0%] mothers had ever heard of HIV/AIDS. Awareness was significantly associated with the younger age of the mother [ P = 0.023], higher level of education [ P = 0.001], lesser number of living children [ P = 0.032], and complete immunization status [0.001] of their respective children. The major source of information was TV/Radio for 107 (83.59%), friends/relatives/neighbors for 24 (18.75%), and health personnel for 22 (17.18%) mothers, respectively. Out of the 128 aware mothers, 95 (74.0%) mentioned that it was transmitted through sexual route, 37 (29.0%) mentioned unsafe injections, 24 (19.0%) mentioned unsafe blood transfusion, and 13 (10.0%) mentioned that it was transmitted from mother to child. There was 'no incorrect' or 'do not know' response from any of these aware women.
Similar observations have been reported in other studies also. Rapid Household Survey [South Delhi]  and IPP-VIII survey of Delhi slums  reported, 62.7% and 59.6% awareness amongst women, respectively. Amongst women, NFHS-3 reported 61.0% awareness at the national level, however, a high figure of 88.0% awareness was reported in Delhi. 
To conclude, the level of awareness among mothers residing in slums was low-to-moderate, but it was heartening to note that all the aware women had some correct information regarding routes of transmission of infection. There is a possibility of exploiting sources of information other than TV/Radio also. The comprehensive Information Education Communication [IEC] activities for HIV/AIDS awareness, under the leadership of National AIDS Control Organization (NACO) has been in vogue for over more than two decades, but as this study suggests, there is scope for upscaling focus IEC activities for hitherto unreached community in slums.
| References|| |
|1.||Immunization coverage cluster survey reference manual. WHO/IVB/04.23. WHO; 2004. |
|2.||Reproductive and Child Health Programme [RCH]-II, Delhi. Revised Programme implementation plan 2005-10 submitted to Government of India. Department of Health and Family Welfare, Govt. of NCT of Delhi. |
|3.||End line Survey. Municipal Corporation of Delhi [IPP-VIII] Project, Delhi: Urban Slums; 2003. |
|4.||National Family Health Survey [NFHS-3]. International Institute for Population Sciences, Mumbai, India: 2005-06. |